18 March 2011
CIMdata PLM Industry Summary
News and Information on Product Lifecycle Management
Brought to you by CIMdata, Inc. - www.cimdata.com
This Week from CIMdata
PLM News: Contents
Become a member of the CIMdata PLM Community to receive your daily PLM news and much more.
- Altair Engineering Will Open Office in Madrid to Serve Spain and Portugal
- Aras Welcomes John Sperling as Director of Product Management for Engineering Applications
- Autodesk Names Tata Technologies Top Manufacturing Partner
- EOS Innovations Becomes a Value-Added Reseller for Autodesk
- i GET IT Offers 'Fundamentals of Vehicle Design and Packaging
- Impact of Japanese Earthquake upon the Zuken Group
- PTC® Continues Collaboration with FIRST® to Launch the FIRST® Tech Challenge (FTC®) Robotics Competition in China
- Sopheon Appoints Former Intuit Technology Executive to Lead Product Development Organization
- ASCON Held Partnership Meeting and Seminar in Germany
- assyst and Human Solutions Present the New Generation of their Product and Service Portfolio for Fashion at Texprocess
- Autodesk Extends Invitation to Join Webinar on Manufacturing Business Segment
- Call for Papers: CD-adapco's STAR American Conference 2011
- Camstar Announces Paul Nunes as Keynote for Global Customer Conference
- Cimatron to Showcase Die Design Enhancements at INTERMOLD KOREA
- Extensible CAD Technologies' InspectionXpert for CATIA V5 Fills Gap Left by Discontinuation of Rand Worldwide's Inspection Tools
- GibbsCAM 2011 to be Previewed at AeroDef Manufacturing Exposition
- Icona Solutions to Run Workshop on Perceived Quality at Interior Motives China Conference 2011
- Learn How to Reduce Product Development Costs With SpaceClaim 3D Direct Modeling
- Lectra to Present Importance of Color in Fashion, Apparel Design at AATCC's 2011 International Conference
- LMS to Attend 2011 Modelica Conference
- MSC.Software Technology Day Cleveland, OH, Nonlinear and Motion Technology Day Workshops
- Oracle Announces Oracle OpenWorld 2011 Call for Papers
- PACE Automotive Design Lab to Open at McMaster University
- Registration Now Open for SmartGeometry 2011 Conference Taking Place April 1-2 in Copenhagen
- Sescoi to Launch new Automated Implantology Module at IDS
- Apache Design Solutions, Inc. Files Registration Statement for Proposed Initial Public Offering
- ESI Group: Buoyant Growth in 2010/11 Annual Revenue: €84.2 Million (+12.1%)
- Icona Solutions Secures New Investment through North East Technology Fund and IP Group to Help Fund Expansion
- SofTech Announces New Management Team
- Aker Solutions Enters Into an Agreement with Intergraph® Smart 3D Technology
- Autodesk Names RND Automation & Engineering as Inventor of the Year for 2010
- BAE Systems Composite Structures Selects VISTAGY's FiberSIM® to Design and Manufacture Aircraft Parts
- Chico’s FAS, Inc. Selects PTC Windchill® FlexPLM® for Enterprise PLM
- Cimatron Powers Global Clean Energy Leader
- CLAAS Boosts Innovation with V6 Solutions from Dassault Systèmes
- Customer Case Study: E2i and Radan Provide Streamlined Efficiency for Hydram
- Delcam’s FeatureCAM Gives H&R Precision Success from the Start
- IFS Applications is Selected by Brookfield Asset Management
- ITRI Adopts Synopsys' TCAD Sentaurus for Silicon Carbide Technology Development
- Kyushu Institute of Technology Selects Intergraph® SmartMarine® 3D for Research and Education
- MD Adams and LifeMOD Used to Assess Musculoskeletal Disorder Risk During Automotive Assembly Tasks
- Mentor Graphics Tessent YieldInsight Demonstrates Faster IC Failure and Yield Analysis at Fujitsu
- Novacem Uses Autodesk Design Software to Produce Zero-Carbon Cement
- Synopsys Mixed-signal Verification Solution Delivers 5X Speed-up at Amlogic
- Tech CADCAM Helps Double M Engineering to Improve the Productivity of its Machines by 30%
- Accept360™ Achieves Oracle® Validated Integration With Oracle CRM OnDemand
- Browzwear Vstitcher, Vstyler & VViewer Version 4.8 Released
- Cadence Enhances Unified Custom/Analog Flow to Boost Productivity at Nodes Down to 20nm
- GEOMATE Announces Design Calculation Suite
- Geometric Releases eDrawings Professional for Solid Edge Version 8.0
- Geometric Releases eDrawings Professional for Google SketchUp Version 8.0
- How to Use CMPRO for PLM
- ICAM Ships CAM-POST V19 to its Users
- Mentor Graphics Delivers First Multimedia Platform for Hardware Emulation of 3D TV Products
- Synopsys' CODE V Enhances Aspheric Lens System Design
CIMdata Online Polls
CIMdata is now featuring online polls with real time reporting on our web site at http://www.cimdata.com/polls/polls.html. Each week the results of the previous poll will be included in the CIMdata PLM Industry Summary to help you stay on top of trends in the PLM industry.
Take a moment to visit the site and vote on our current poll.
The results for the last opinion poll are:
It is very encouraging to see that of those companies who responded the majority (over 63%) execute over 75% of their designs in 3D CAD. However, there are still a substantial number of technological followers: fully 18% of respondents still work mostly in 2D. Certainly, 2D is appropriate for some product design work, such as simple turned parts. However, when these parts are used in more complex assemblies and products it remains preferable to design them in 3D so that they can be analyzed for things such as weight and clash.
The results on the question of master data are interesting from the standpoint that clearly companies are moving away from drawings as the master. This shows a maturing process where 3D is used for design and then maintained as the master that supports future work. 60% of respondents now use 3D as the master or as the master along with a drawing derived from 3D. Of the 39% who continue to use drawings as the master, one has to wonder how many are required to do so by some regulatory organization (such as US FDA) and how many do this to satisfy their company's historical practices.
NOTE: The results of these polls are anecdotal, not scientific.
If you have a suggestion for a poll you'd like to see contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Information on CIMdata and PLM
See how CIMdata Consulting can work with your organization to improve your PLM strategy.
Read select reports online and see a sample of what CIMdata research can do for your company.
View more newsletters from CIMdata in our searchable online archive.
Tell us what you think of the CIMdata Newsletter. Contact the Editor Christine Bennett at email@example.com.
CIMdata, Inc. is committed to your privacy. Your personal information will never be sold or shared outside of CIMdata without your express permission.
'CIMdata 뉴스레터' 카테고리의 다른 글
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 15 April 2011 (0)||2011.04.18|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 8 April 2011 (0)||2011.04.11|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 1 April 2011 (0)||2011.04.04|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 25 March 2011 (0)||2011.03.28|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 18 March 2011 (0)||2011.03.21|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 11 March 2011 (0)||2011.03.14|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 4 March 2011 (0)||2011.03.07|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 25 February 2011 (0)||2011.02.28|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 18 February 2011 (0)||2011.02.21|