23 December 2011
CIMdata PLM Industry Summary
News and Information on Product Lifecycle Management
Brought to you by CIMdata, Inc. - www.cimdata.com
Top Stories: This Week in PLM
Our Best Wishes for a Happy Holiday and a Very Prosperous New Year!
From the CIMdata Team
Follow us in 2012 for all the PLM news.
PLM News: Contents
Become a member of the CIMdata PLM Community to receive your daily PLM news and much more.
- Autodesk Acquires T-Splines Modeling Technology Assets; Transaction to Strengthen Free-form Surface Modeling Capabilities
- Trimble to Acquire StruCad Business from AceCad Software to Extend Tekla's Structural Steel Industry Presence
- AVEVA Announces Strategic Partnership with China Petroleum & Chemical Engineering Survey and Design Association (CPCESDA)
- Bentley Publishes The Year in Infrastructure 2011
- BobCAD-CAM Goes to Germany in the Name of CAM Technology Development
- Delcam’s New Web Site for PartMaker CAM System for Production Machining
- New Revit Structure 2012 Tutorial Video Course Offers Professional Guidance for Beginners from Infinite Skills
- Panso Solutions of India Joins the Aras Partner Program
- ShipConstructor Executive Re-Elected NSRP Panel Vice Chairman
- ShipConstructor Part of $1.4 Million NSRP Research Project
- Surfware Appoints David Holding Company as New VAR in Bulgaria & Romania
- Surfware Appoints Romeo Engineering Inc. as New VAR in Texas
- AVEVA World User Meeting in China Targets Delegates from the Oil & Gas and Chemical Industries
- COMET Robot Machining Consortium Meets at Fraunhofer
- CUST 2011, The Third Annual Edition of Spring Technologies Users Group Hosted at Astrium and Airbus Facilities
- Gerber Technology to Share PLM Best Practices for Retail and Fashion during Seminar at the London College of Fashion
- Alphacam Drives 29 Centres for HySpeed Machine Shop (Customer Case Study)
- Autodesk Inventor Helps Bring Greater Energy Efficiency for Building Retrofits
- Catalog Data Solutions Catalog and CAD Download Solution Selected by Mueller Streamline Co.
- Delcam’s ArtCAM Speeds Ice Bar Production
- IFS Signs Contract with Leading Manufacturer Within the Automotive Industry
- PKC Group Adopts Latest Mentor Graphics Technology for Wire Harness Design and Engineering
- Rapiscan Uses Autodesk Vault to Effectively Collaborate on Security Products
- Slack & Parr Installs Mori Seiki NTX2000SZ
- TDS Selects MSC Software’s Marc for Nonlinear Analysis
- Altium and CADD Edge Make Next-Generation Electronics Design Software Available to Over 10,000 Customers
- AVEVA Releases AVEVA Space Management
- Dassault Systèmes Announces Isight 5.6 for Simulation Automation and Design Optimization
- Delcam Launches DentSCAN Dental Scanner
- ESI Group Announces New Release of VA One; Latest release of noise and vibration simulation software includes significant performance enhancements
- ESI Releases the New Version of PAM-CEM Simulation Suite
- ETA Announces Release of DYNAFORM 5.8.1; Die System Simulation Solution Offers Enhanced Die Face Engineering Capabilities
- Intergraph® CADWorx® Plant Professional 2012 Reinstatement Phase II Discount of Up to 70% Ends December 31
- Introducing Expertly Designed HP Workstation and LED Screen Bundles for Autodesk Software Users
- InventorCAM 2012 Makes its Debut, Reducing Cycle Times by up to 70% for Autodesk customers, with iMachining
- Knovel Expands Critical Content to Help Engineers Streamline Material Selection in Product Design
- Luxion Releases Updated Plugins for SolidWorks, Rhinoceros, Creo, Pro/ENGINEER and SketchUp
- McLaren Software Announces Enterprise Engineer 3.7
- Mech-Q Engineering Add-On Ready for IntelliCAD 2012
- Mentor Graphics Delivers Emulation-Ready Transactors for the Accelerated Verification of SoCs
- Modultek Introduces Aton6
- MSC Software and Sigmadyne Announce New Capabilities for Optimization of Optical Systems
- SolidACE Releases New Major Version 3.0 of BuiltWorks
CIMdata Online Polls
CIMdata is now featuring online polls with real time reporting on our web site at http://www.cimdata.com/polls/polls.html. Each week the results of the previous poll will be included in the CIMdata PLM Industry Summary to help you stay on top of trends in the PLM industry.
Take a moment to visit the site and vote on our current poll.
The results for the last opinion poll are:
Digital Manufacturing (DM) supports the definition of the processes used to produce a product, including simulation and analysis of those processes, and the manufacturing environments used, including production equipment and lines. It provides the bridge between design and production. While DM solutions have been available for several years adoption of DM has been slow. This survey explored the status of DM programs within industrial companies.
One of the major reasons for the slow adoption of DM is that most companies do not have a formal DM strategy. Approximately 52% of the respondents to the poll said that their company did not have a DM strategy even if they were using some combination of DM type tools (40% indicated they are using some tools without any strategy while 12% indicated no DM strategy). The lack of a strategy generally indicates that a company is continuing to operate as they have in the past – getting local tools for individuals or small groups that have manufacturing engineering tasks. They are not looking to see how they can best leverage design information as part of their overall product development and manufacturing processes.
Companies that have DM strategies are at three different levels of maturity. At the lowest level, the company has defined a strategy (18% of respondents) but has not yet begun to execute it. These companies have recognized the need for effective DM but need to make tool selections and do their manufacturing process definitions before they can begin to achieve DM related benefits. At the middle level of maturity (approximately 12% of respondents), the company has selected tools and defined some of the processes but has not yet deployed the solution throughout their enterprise. These companies need to continue deployment to fully maximize their return on their DM investments. At the highest level of maturity, a company has a defined DM strategy and is actively deploying it across their enterprise (16% of respondents).
The bottom line is that only 30% of respondents indicated that their companies are actively deploying a DM strategy. These companies are making the investments needed to improve their overall product development and manufacturing capabilities and improve the market competitiveness. CIMdata’s experience and research strongly indicates that these companies will be the most successful in the years to come.
NOTE: The results of these polls are anecdotal, not scientific.
If you have a suggestion for a poll you'd like to see contact us at email@example.com.
More Information on CIMdata and PLM
See how CIMdata Consulting can work with your organization to improve your PLM strategy.
Read select reports online and see a sample of what CIMdata research can do for your company.
View more newsletters from CIMdata in our searchable online archive.
Tell us what you think of the CIMdata Newsletter. Contact the Editor Christine Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CIMdata, Inc. is committed to your privacy. Your personal information will never be sold or shared outside of CIMdata without your express permission.
'CIMdata 뉴스레터' 카테고리의 다른 글
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 27 January 2012 (0)||2012.01.30|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 20 January 2012 (0)||2012.01.25|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 13 January 2012 (0)||2012.01.16|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 6 January 2012 (0)||2012.01.09|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 23 December 2011 (0)||2011.12.26|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 16 December 2011 (0)||2011.12.19|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 9 December 2011 (0)||2011.12.12|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 2 December 2011 (0)||2011.12.05|
|CIMdata PLM Industry Summary 23 November 2011 (0)||2011.11.26|